(The 1779/1780 encampment is described in the entries for Ford Mansion and Jockey Hollow lower on this page.) When General Washington took his headquarters at the Jacob Arnold tavern during the 1777 winter encampment, the Green became a hub of military activities.Various buildings around it were used as officers' headquarters, army hospitals, and a military store house.The Green is filled with many markers to this historic past.
Morris County Militia Eastern Battalion Samuel Oliver Died August 16, 1811, Age 78 Capt.Croix in 2001 and sits on a fountain designed by R. Deskovick." The current Presbyterian Church located here was constructed in 1893-1894.It stands at the location of two previous church buildings.It depicts a militiaman saying farewell to his wife and son, accompanied by their horse and dog.A plaque on the fountain describes the sculpture as "A monument to the New Jersey militia and their families whose sacrifices created a strong and enduring nation." The group was sculptured by Robert St.Opposite the Arnold Tavern site on the North Park Place side of the park, is a monument to mark the site of the courthouse and jail that stood here at the time of the Revolutionary War.There are two beautiful pieces of Revolutionary War related sculpture in the Green.Upon arriving in Morristown on January 6, Washington made his headquarters at the tavern of Jacob Arnold, which was located at this site.Several other buildings and churches in Morristown were utilized by General Washington's army during the 1777 encampment.By that time, there were two stores on the first floor: Adams & Fairchild Grocers, and P. The building was razed in 1918 after it had been badly damaged by a fire.General Washington and his army would return again to Morristown in the winter of 1779/1780 for their second, and more famous Morristown winter encampment.Morris County Militia Eastern Battalion Ebenezer Stiles 1726 - 1814 Not a soldier, but his house in nearby Morris Plains quartered lighthorsemen in 1780 The Baptist Church that once stood on the Green, was used as a hospital for soldiers with small pox during the 1777 encampment.Between 200 - 300 of the soldiers who died of smallpox were buried in a mass grave in the Baptist Church's cemetery.The Alliance was created by Studio EIS of Brooklyn, and was dedicated in 2007.